The Real Greek Souvlaki & Bar - Putney
About The Real Greek Souvlaki & Bar - Putney
When The Real Greek opened in Hoxton a few years ago, there was a stampede of diners thrilled by the regional Greek cuisine, the groovy ambience, the open kitchen, the authentic smells, the cool waitstaff. Now, like Troy, London's neighbourhoods are being conquered from within by new branches of the smart, sleek, trendy Real Greek Souvlaki, and lucky Putney is the latest to fall under its spell. Set right in the centre of town, the restaurant is so near the cinema it would be criminal not to make it a stopover before or after the show. The Real Greek is a very hip place, very Manhattan, in which to enjoy Greek dishes quite unlike the normal fare. The souvlaki concept encourages sharing and the narrow tables make it easy. Try hand-rolled stuffed vine leaves, crispy cheese balls with herbs or lightly-battered salt cod. Move forward from there to the souvlaki, or "the best kebab in the world" as they put it. Lamb, pork or chicken are skewered and grilled to perfection, then served with tzatziki and homemade tomato sauce and wrapped in Greek flat bread. Traditional deserts, including a glorious baklava, are a must. The Greek wines are a nice surprise.
Sample a la carte
- Crispy cheese balls (mixed Greek cheeses, roasted red onion and herbs) £3.25
- Loukaniko (a lightly-spiced beef sausage) £4.75
- Grilled kalamari marinated in paprika and honey £5.25
- Spiced hummus (chickpeas with tahini, paprika, cumin and chilli) £3.25
Other starters are available.
- Lamb souvlaki £5.85
- Pork souvlaki £5.25
- Chicken souvlaki £5.25
- Soutzouki (spicy cured Armenian beef sausage) £5.25
- Seasonal vegetables £4.85
- Meat sharer (lamb skewer, tahini, chicken wings, bifteki, melitzanosalata, htipiti,
Greek salad, flatbread) £10.25 per person (for 2)
- A selection of desserts are available.
31-33 Putney High Street, SW15 1SP
£24 and Under
Saturday open till midnight