About Moti Mahal
Of sound Delhi pedigree, Moti Mahal is a very good-looking modern Indian restaurant of crisply laid tables, chic leather and wood seating, glitzy chandeliers and a copper-backed open kitchen exposing the chefs at their tandoor ovens. Lunchtimes attract a middle-aged corporate crowd, while evenings see the same business people mixing with smart friends, family and theatergoers. Moti Mahal does traditional Indian food very well, although it's more accurate to say traditional with a contemporary twist, best exemplified by the starters (deep fried seabass with carom seeds and ginger being a fine example) and desserts. Spiciest and most popular of the signature dishes is a Rajasthani lamb curry from the tandoor. The menu covers a few Indian regions - the meaty, smoky kebabs from the Northwest Frontier are particularly good. Service is fine-dining formal yet friendly. Excellent drinks selection, including up to 60 different varieties of whisky.
Sample a la carte
- Kurkuri subzion ka salad (crisp fried shitake, baby corn and asparagus, griddled masala paneer, wild roquette and pepper salad) £6.00
- Macchi ke parchey (salmon in honey, dill and cream cheese marinade, smoked masala salmon and pepper mousse) £8.50
- Barra peshawari (tandoor roasted lamb chops with kashmiri chillies, cumin mash, spiced puy lentil salsa) £14.00
- Murghi nazakat (mint 'n' basil grilled supreme of chicken, cold salad of spiced chicken liver and caramelised figs) £8.00
Other starters are available
- Kozhi varatiathu (chicken stirfried with malabar spices, steamed 'appams' coconut chilli chutney) £13.50
- Khyberi nalli (braised lamb shanks glazed in the tandoor, orange and mustard cress salad) £15.00
- Sorpotel (spicy wild boar and okra curry from Goa, masala fried egg, garlic pao) £15.50
- Posto macch (panfried baby mullets with poppy seeds and smoked paprika, roasted aubergine and tomato mash) £15.50
- Subzee key koftey (seasonal vegetable kofta, asparagus and carrot pulao, pea shoot salad) £11.00
- Matkey ki gosht biriyani (lamb cooked with basmati rice scented with green cardamom) £15.50
Other main courses are available.
- A selection of desserts are available.
45 Great Queen Street, Covent Garden, WC2B 5AA
A discretionary service charge of 12.5% will be added to your bill.
£35 - £44
Mon - Sat 12pm - 3pm & 5:30pm - 11:15pm