Swithins Italian Restaurant
About Swithins Italian Restaurant
In the heart of the City, in a quiet side street in the Rothschild banking district, Swithin’s Italian restaurant is a very special place to dine and entertain. Beneath London’s pavements lie the old vaults of Sandeman’s, where port was bottled for hundreds of years. These arching cellars are the setting for Swithin’s fine Italian dining room. The bricked vaults may have an air of rusticity, but the leather banquettes, gleaming silver and crystal, and white linens create an elegant space for enjoying first class cuisine. The menu includes classic dishes, many with an inventive modern twist. Try starter of fillet of beef carpaccio on mixed leaves with lemon vinaigrette, second course of home made spinach and ricotta ravioli -- all the pastas are home made, with chopped tomato, butter and sage, main course of calves liver and bacon with sauteed baby spinach and mash, or one of the Italian veal, or a fresh fish dish. There are superb vegetarian choices, too. The mostly-French wine list has a few well-chosen Italians and a tempting line in champagnes. Very professional service.
Sample a la carte
- Grilled jumbo asparagus wrapped in Parma ham, topped with Parmesan gratin or plain grilled with hot butter £8
- Bresaloa, cured beef fillet, sliced and served with avocado, fresh rocket, olive oil and balsamic dressing £8
- King sea scallops wrapped in smoked pancetta, pan fried with herbs and white wine £9.50
- Arborio rice risotto with wild mushrooms and Parmesan shavings £7.50
Other starters are available.
- Grilled breast of chicken with sun blushed tomato and white wine sauce served with Parmesan mash £11.50
- Veal chop topped with diced potato, white wine butter and sage £17.50
- Veal piccata, escallops of veal topped with Parma ham and melted bufala mozzarella in a white wine sauce £14
- Breast of ’Barbary’ duck with caramelise figs, orange and blueberry sauce £13.80
- Escalope of veal ’Holstein’ topped with fried egg, capers and anchovies £14.50
Other main courses are available.
- A selection of desserts are available.
21 - 23 Swithins Lane, EC4N 8AD
£25 - £34
Mon - Fri: 12pm - 3pm
Smart, No Jeans