What a change from your usual local Chinese! Shanghai occupies the listed premises of a former East End pie and mash shop built when Victoria was on the throne, and the atmospheric old shopfront is still here, perfectly preserved. There are marble prep areas, long bar, original floor, oak booths to seat twenty, tiled walls and eel-motifed mirrors. However, the rear of the restaurant is a newly-built modern Chinese eaterie with oriental imagery filled with warm light from the stained glass ceiling windows. The menu is a combination of classic Chinese favourites complemented by Western -influenced versions of Eastern dishes. The absolute must-haves are the pork-filled fried dumpling starter, served with red vinegar and ginger strips, and main course of baked fresh lobster with ginger and spring onions. There are karaoke evenings to liven the place up even more. This is a place for everyone.
Sample a la carte
- Steamed Prawn Dumplings (Ha-Kau) £2.90
- Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings £2.80
- Shanghai Ravioli with Chilli £3.20
- Chicken Fillets with Cashew Nuts in Yellow Bean Suace £5.60
- Sliced Duck with Ginger and Spring onion £5.80
- Braised Seasonal Chinese Vegetables in Oyster Sauce £4.90
- Toffee Apple/Banana £2.10
- Ice Cream £2.90
- Lychees £2.00
41 Kingsland High Street, E8 2JS
Dalston Kingsland (BR)
£24 and under
Mon - Fri 12pm - 3pm & 5pm - 11pm
Sat & Sun 12pm - 11pm.