Woodlands - Marylebone
About Woodlands - Marylebone
Just because you’re up in town doing the Oxford Street shopping thing or the
Madame Tussaud’s touristy thing doesn’t mean you have to fall into a fast-food joint, especially if your sensibilities tend away from meat. Because there’s Woodlands! A wonderful South Indian vegetarian and vegan
restaurant waiting to tempt you with the delights of this lovely cuisine. The zig-zagging interior is smart and uncluttered with lime-coloured walls and wooden floor, and a skylight at the back. Woodlands attracts quite a starry array of diners, including the Pakistani cricket team, as well as adoring business folk and locals. Try starters like vegetable samosas,
quick-fried battered spicy cashewnuts, or lentil doughnuts in yoghurt, main courses gorgeous dosas - sort of Indian crepes - offered with a variety of fillings, like seasoned potato, onions, and peas, served with lentil soup and coconut chutney, or one of the special dishes like chickpeas in tomato and light masala sauce. Or just order one of the thalis and let the chefs decide for you!
Sample a la carte
- Dahi vada (a refreshing dish of lentil doughnuts immersed in cool yoghurt £4.25
- Potato Bonda (seasoned potatoes, nuts and mild spice fried in a gram flour batter) £4.25
- Upma (warm cream of wheat cooked with nuts, and served with coconut chutney) £3.75
- Kancheepuran idli (traditional rice and lentil puffs studded with green chilli, pepper and cashewnuts) £4.25
Other starters are available.
- Paneer dosa (pancake filled with homemade cottage cheese and mild spice) £5.25
- Vegetable cutlet uthappams (South Indial lentil pizza with garden vegetables seasoned in a mild spice, coated and fried in golden breadcrumbs and served with a mixed salad) £5.50
- Channa (tender chickpeas simmered in a delicious tomato and light masala sauce £5.25
- Bhajji (brunoise of mixed vegetables cooked in a hot sauce and finished with green peppers for flavour £5.25
Other main courses are available
- Gulab Jamun (homemade condensed milk in a rose and saffron syrup) £3.75
- Jaggery dosa with ice cream (golden butter crepe smothered with warm sugar cane) £3.75
- Kulfi (delicious, smooth Indain ice cream in either mango, pistachio, almond and Malai flavours) £2.95
- Badam Halwa (milk, sugar, butter crushed almonds and saffron cooked to a secret recipe to create this Woodlands speciality) £4.50
Other desserts are available.
77 Marylebone Lane, W1U 2PS
Mon - Sun 12 noon - 2.45pm & 6pm - 10.45pm. Open on some Bank Holidays