Mitsukoshi is close to celebrating its 20th birthday, and still going strong. The restaurant began as one of the first sushi places in London, and has retained critical acclaim ever since. Health conscious types will particularly enjoy the separate sushi bar. This offers a minimum calorie lunch of fresh fish, rolled with sushi rice and seaweed, and fired with a grating of freshwater horseradish. Restaurant favourites include pungent, salty natto (fermented soy beans), alongside pure buckwheat noodles, chilled with ice, and eaten within minutes of preparation. These delicacies are teamed with silken tofu, dropped into nourishing miso soup, and finished with seaweed. The dinner menu includes a selection of tempura - prawn and vegetables dipped in light rice flour batter, and fried until light and crispy. The specialities don’t end there, and Mitsukoshi also hones its specialist blades on yakitori - marinated skewered chicken cooked on a hot griddle. And if this wasn’t enough culture for one evening, the green-tea ice-cream makes a deliciously different dessert.
Sample a la carte
- Nigiri sushi accompanied with sushi chef's appetizer of the day 12.50
- Thinly sliced poached octopus on a leaf salad with a citrus soy dressing 8.00
- Ginger and garlic marinated pork loin with a herb salad 10.50
- Soft shell crab tempura 8.00
Other starters are available (including sashimi and sushi dishes)
- Grilled black cod marinated in sweet miso paste £12.00
- Tofu and chicken hamburger served with a mushroom sauce £12.50
- Steamed tofu and eel with a sticky soy dressing £13.50
- Iberian pork (free range) cutlet with a citrus soy dipping sauce £15.80
- Sautéed beef fillet served with a sizzling hot 'teriyaki' sauce £16.70
- Mushroom and vegetable tempura £9.50
Other main courses are available.
- A selection of desserts is available.
Dorland House, 14 - 20 Lower Regent Street, SW1Y 4PH
Lunch: Mon - Sun 12 noon - 2pm,
Afternoon Tea: Mon-Sun 2pm - 5pm
Dinner: Mon-Sun 6pm - 10pm