You are here: London Online > Tower of London Virtual Tour > St Johns Crypt
Previous page: Record Room

This contains several inscriptions carved by prisoners who took part in Wyatt's rebellion in 1554. Here are shown the block used at the execution of Simon, Lord Lovat, in 1747, the execution axe, dating from about the year 1660, some instruments of punishment, used for confining prisoners, and a model of the rack as it existed in the Tower in 1809.

Between the years 1831 and 1883 the Crypt was known as "Queen Elizabeth's Armoury" and contained many of the weapons now shown in the Weapon Room.

From the Crypt the visitor passes to the west into THE SMALL ARMS ROOM.

Next page: Small Arms Room

The Tower of London Virtual Guide




Custom Search
                        

London Online | About Us | London attractions | London Venues | London Events | London Hotels | London Theatre
CSE © 1996 - 2017 London Online. All rights reserved. London Online is a trading name of CSE. The content of the London Online website is provided in good faith but we cannot be held responsible for inaccuracies, omissions or visitors' comments.


London Online is part of the  Britain Online network of city guides.