Embankment Opening

Previous page: The Thames Embankment

Started in February 1864, the Victoria Embankment was opened in July, 1870, by the Prince of Wales as Her Majesty's representative. It is a magnificent work, forming a broad and continuous roadway a mile and a quarter in length, and 100 ft. in width, running from Blackfriars Bridge past the Temple Gardens, Somerset House, and Waterloo Bridge, and along the gardens on either side of Charing Cross Bridge to Westminster.

Between Westminster and Whitehall no less than four acres of foreshore were recovered from the river on the land side, and a very hot dispute arose as to their ownership, the city of Westminster finally winning the prize.

Another eight acres was obtained between the approach to the Embankment abutting on to Whitehall Place and Waterloo Bridge.

Next page: Somerset House