Thai Square - Islington
About Thai Square - Islington
The Thai Square group have done a good job of turning three levels of shops near Angel Tube into a recommendable mid-priced restaurant. Tall ceilings, lots of natural light, plants and traditional Thai art are among the nice touches that make for a genuinely comfortable eating environment. Overlooking the large main dining room is an equally spacious mezzanine, often reserved for private parties. The bar’s in the basement. Pick of the consistently good menu are Thai-restaurant staples, pad thai and green chicken curry. The more adventurous like weeping tiger. Not the real thing, of course, but a spicy beef dish. The vegetarian menu fills an entire page. Lovely staff. All in all, very good value.
Sample a la carte
- "Thai square" selection (chicken satay, marinated and char-grilled served with spicy peanut sauce - minimum two people)
- Poh pia goong (prawn spring roll served with chilli sauce)
- Gai hor bai teoy (chicken pieces marinated with our secret ingredients, individually wrapped in spinach leaves and deep fried served with a sweet chilli sauce)
- Kanom jeeb (Thai dim sum served with a soya vinaigrette dressing)
Other starters are available.
- Gang kiew wan (choice of beef, chicken or prawn green curry uses fresh green chilli and is cooked in coconut milk with pea aubergines, lime leaves and sweet basil leaves - relatively hot)
- Gang dang (choice of beef, chicken or prawn red curry uses dried long red chilli instead of fresh green chilli and is not so hot cooked in coconut milk with bamboo shoots, lime leaves and basil leaves and garnished with shredded red chilli)
- Gang pa (jungle curry - choice of beef, chicken or venison: jungle curry with dried long red chilli cooked in chicken broth with fresh, young green pepper corns, shredded grachai, aubergines, bamboo shoots and long beans)
- Panang curry (choice of beef, chicken or prawn cooked in coconut cream, presented relatively dry and garnished with shredded lime leaves - relatively hot)
- Mussamun curry (choice of beef, chicken or lamb: mild Muslim ragout from the south of Thailand, cooked in rich coconut curry sauce with onions and peanuts)
- Gang phed ped yang (red duck curry cooked in coconut milk with lychees, pineapple and lime leaves)
Other main courses are available.
- A selection of desserts are available.
347-349 Upper St, N1 0PD
£24 and Under
Mon - Thurs 12pm - 3pm & 6pm - 11pm
Fri12pm - 3pm & 6pm - 11:30
Sat 6pm - 11:30pm
Sun 6pm - 10:30pm