Occo serves a real need among Marylebone’s fashionable workforce. Most nights find this modern Moroccan bar and restaurant packed with local fashion, media, advertising and banking professionals who respond enthusiastically to the short, fairly-priced drinks list (the majority of wines are under £20 a bottle, and the rose petal martinis delicious). The light-filled main dining room and bar is dominated by traditional wooden furniture and lots of light, much like the Moroccan conservatory leading off it. Food spans two menus - a la carte, made-to-share tapas and a brunch menu at the weekend. Finish with a selection of crumbly Moroccan pastries and sweet cup of fresh mint tea, or if you’re in the mood, another bespoke cocktail. Very friendly staff.
Sample a la carte
- Deep fried goats cheese with dates and red onion, served with green leaves caramelised pears and a fennel and mustard seed dressing £4.75
- Pigeon, almond, saffron and cinnamon briouat served with pear date and orange chutney £5.25
- Smoked haddock and mackerel salad with spring onion, chive, dill, parsley, harissa, sun blanched tomatoes and new potatoes on a bed of mixed leaves with an English mustard vinaigrette £5.95
- Dill and coriander seed blanched cucumber stuffed with chick peas, spring onion, garlic and parsley served with mixed leaves, green tea blanched apricots, smashed chick peas and a ginger dressing on a chicory leaf £4.75
Other starters are available.
- Walnut crusted fillet of lamb marinated in ras-el-hanout, with sweet potato and cracked pepper mash, topped with prunes and dates, and a shallot and prune tagine sauce
- Sauté chermoula marinated fillet of monkfish, served with a broad bean zaalouk, lemon and black olives, topped with minted yoghurt £14.50
- Roast squab marinated and served with 'dormira' sauce - chicken liver, baby onions, saffron, preserved lemon, garlic and coriander with toasted almonds £11.75
- Split peas slow cooked with stock and herbs, served with asparagus, pumpkin seeds, pine kernels and topped with rocket, balsamic dressing and yoghurt, coriander and avocado guacamole £9.50
- Chicken breast marinated in cardamom, turmeric, garlic and parsley served with Jerusalem artichoke, cauliflower and green olives with a saffron tagine sauce £12.75
- Roast marinated duck leg with nutmeg, fennel, cumin and coriander seed, clove and s'men served with harissa and saffron parsnip mash, and a poppy seed and honey coated roast parsnip £12.50
Other main courses are available.
- Cardamom crème brulée £4.75
- Quince, apple and orange zest crumble with vanilla ice cream £5.25
- White chocolate and cinnamon mousse with a brandy snap £4.95
- Date and espresso sticky toffee pudding with pecan and butterscotch sauce, with crème fraiche £5.25
Other desserts are available.
58 Crawford Street, Marylebone, W1H 4NA
£24 and Under