If you like a sense of humour with your supper, Rooburoo will have you smiling into your samosas. That's if you can find it among the stalls of Chapel Market. It offers more than just 'rooby murrays' (mighty fine as they are), offering deceptively simple dishes from all regions of India, many of them particularly healthy such as pathrani machli - seabass in green herbs and lemon juice presented in a banana leaf. Everything tastes decidedly homemade and is served with a smile on stylish wooden platters. Music is modern (strictly no sitars), and the portraits everywhere as off-beat as the wonderfully friendly staff. Rooburoo is being showered with awards in 2007; its been voted one of Time Out’s top five restaurants, "No. 1 value restaurant in London and the South East" by the Sunday Times, and "Best of London" by the Evening Standard.
Sample lunch menu
- Broccolli & paneer bhaji (two pan fried bhajis, mixed with lentils for an extra crunch) £2.50
- Lamb kebab (minced, spiced lamb with mint yoghurt and coriander) £4.50
- Chicken jalfrezi jatka (marinated chicken strips stir fried with green peppers and spring onions) £3.85
- Spicy fish stew (a medley of seasonal oily fish cooked in tomatoes, ground spices and chick pea) £5.10
Other starters are available.
- Chicken tikka malaee with sliced mango, subtly marinated with pepper, crème fraîche
and garlic £5.75
- Sheeshk kebab with sour cream minced lamb with chopped green herbs, ginger, garlic and onions £5.95
- Sword fish with straw mushrooms lightly spiced with peppercorns, garlic and poppy seeds £8.65
- King prawn peri peri with vine tomatoes (king prawns cooked in vinegar, garlic,
white wine and red chillies) £9.95
- Seafood biriyani (fresh crab, king prawns, mussels, salmon cooked in
basmati rice, saffron, whole spices and peppers. Served with raitha) £17.95
- Murgh jhinga manchuri (chicken strips and prawns cooked with peppers, green chillies and vermicelli noodles) £6.95
Other main courses are available.
A selection of desserts is available.
21 Chapel Market, N1 9EZ
All prices are inclusive of vat.
a discretionary service charge of 12.5% will be added to your bill.
£24 and under
Mon 6pm - 11pm
Tues - Sun 12pm - 3pm and 6pm - 11:30pm