Woodlands - Hampstead
About Woodlands - Hampstead
Woodlands Indian vegetarian restaurant in London's leafy Hampstead is the latest of a thriving group that first opened its doors in Madras in 1938. This branch has a pleasing, calm space with sleek neutral seating, exposed brick, pebbled floor, tastefully modern artwork and a water feature tinkling away. The menu focuses on South and Western Indian street food - chefs here take long training in Chennai so their renditions of the classic idli and its cousin, the dosa, are authentic to the fingertips, served with a choice of fillings and accompaniments. The service here is keen and friendly. Woodlands will make you wonder why you ever bothered with meat.
Sample a la carte
- Dahi vada (a refreshing dish of lentil doughnuts immersed in cool yoghurt £4.25
- Potato Bonda (seasoned potatoes, nuts and mild spice fried in a gram flour batter) £4.25
- Upma (warm cream of wheat cooked with nuts, and served with coconut chutney) £3.75
- Kancheepuran idli (traditional rice and lentil puffs studded with green chilli, pepper and cashewnuts) £4.25
Other starters are available.
- Paneer dosa (pancake filled with homemade cottage cheese and mild spice) £5.25
- Vegetable cutlet uthappams (South Indial lentil pizza with garden vegetables seasoned in a mild spice, coated and fried in golden breadcrumbs and served with a mixed salad) £5.50
- Channa (tender chickpeas simmered in a delicious tomato and light masala sauce £5.25
- Bhajji (brunoise of mixed vegetables cooked in a hot sauce and finished with green peppers for flavour £5.25
Other main courses are available
- Gulab Jamun (homemade condensed milk in a rose and saffron syrup) £3.75
- Jaggery dosa with ice cream (golden butter crepe smothered with warm sugar cane) £3.75
- Kulfi (delicious, smooth Indain ice cream in either mango, pistachio, almond and Malai flavours) £2.95
- Badam Halwa (milk, sugar, butter crushed almonds and saffron cooked to a secret recipe to create this Woodlands speciality) £4.50
Other desserts are available.
102 Heath Street, NW3 1DR
£25 - £35
Mon - Thurs 6pm - 10:45pm
Fri - Sun 11am - 10:45pm
Smart / Casual