Established since 1985, Sitar - which is located on The Strand - has earned countless accolades for its classic curries. Close to all of London’s famous landmarks such as the River Thames, the National Portrait Gallery and Covent Garden, Sitar is the favourite haunt of city lawyers, theatre-goers and business types who stop by for working lunches or early evening meals. Decorated with plush navy carpets and crisp white linens, the restaurant has been recognised by the British Curry Awards and signature dishes include the Goan style spiced scallops, squid and mussels deep fried and simmered in a sauce made from onions, coconut cream, curry leaves and mustard; and the Gosht a la Nilgiri - lamb simmered with spinach paste, garlic, chillies and mint.
Sample a la carte
- Panner malai kofta (home made cheese and potato balls marinated in light spices, wrapped in breadcrumbs and deep fried, served with salad) £5.95
- Dosai ki chingri (tiger prawns marinated in herbs and spices, rolled in a rice flour pancake, shallow fried golden brown, served with fresh sauce) £6.95
- Tandoori chicken (quarter chicken in a lightly spiced marinade of yoghurt, garlic, ginger, chillies, pure saffron, mustard powder and char-grilled, served with salad) £4.45
- Lamb samosa (minced lamb seasoned with herbs and spices, wrapped with light pads made of pastry, deep fried golden brown and served with home made tamarind sauce) £4.25
Other starters are available.
- Swordfish curry (swordfish cooked with onions, lightly spiced with garlic, turmeric, mustard, fennel powder, green chillies, garnished with coriander) £11.95
- Hara chicken tikka massala (breast of chicken stuffed with mushrooms, ginger, coriander, green chillies and matured in extra virgin olive oil then cooked in Hara massala sauce) £11.95
- Chicken bhuna (chicken cooked with onions & tomatoes, lightly spiced with ginger, turmeric and fresh mixed herbs) £7.95
- Lamb pasanda (slices of oven roasted lamb simmered in a thick, creamy onion sauce, with crushed almonds) £8.95
- Chingri hara piaza (tiger prawns lightly seasoned with spices and herbs, ajwaini seeds, cooked with onions, curry leaves and garnished with coriander) £10.95
- Bengali style tuna curry (tuna fish cooked with onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, turmeric, green chillies & mixed herbs, garnished with coriander) £13.95
Other main courses are available.
A selection of desserts is available.
149 Strand, WC2R 1JA
£24 and Under
Mon - Sun 12pm - 2:30pm & 6pm - midnight