In 1964 a new concept in luxury dining emerged on the fiercely competitive New York restaurant scene. Called Benihana of Tokyo, its food preparation methods immediately set it apart from other restaurants. Instead of being hidden away in a conventional kitchen, chefs prepared and cooked entrees at a table called a Hibachi Grill. This Swiss Cottage restaurant, traditional in design, was the first to open in the UK back in 1986. Steak and fish are a treat here, (especially the Benihana Special - an exciting combination of full-flavoured filet mignon and lobster tail) as is the cheery madness of the tableside chefs (count their fingers) wich encourages cross-table banter. During the sunny months, typically Japanese snacks such as tempura, temaki and sushi can be enjoyed in the relaxing garden area at the back of the restaurant. Benihana was recently top 5 family restaurants voted for by Time Out.
Sample dinner menu
- Rainbow maki (a unique California maki topped with tuna and salmon) £7.00
- Sea bass sashimi (7 fillets) £12.20
- Vegetarian maki(Roasted pepper, avocado, tamago and salad) (4pcs) £3.50
- Ebi (shrimp) £2.85
Other starters are available.
- Vegetable delight (vegetable tempura, Benihana salad, miso soup, assorted vegetables cooked on the hibachi table and vegetable papillote) £19.50
- Wagyu beef (the best-marbled beef in the world!!!) £48.00
- Hibachi salmon (fresh and tender slices of salmon cooked with a garlic touch) £21.75
- Hibachi corn-fed chicken (a succulent corn-fed chicken choice of grilled or teriyaki) £18.00
- Benihana bamboo (selected and aged Scottish sirloin steak and tender chicken) £20.75
- Benihana plum (an exciting combination of full flavoured filet mignon and lobster tail) £35.50
All traditional dinners are served with, onion soup a la Japanese or miso soup, Benihana salad with fresh ginger dressing.
Appetisers (Hibachi prawn, Hibachi vegetables) & Steamed rice and Japanese tea (upon request)
- Green tea ice cream (a creamy Japanese ice cream with a subtle surprising flavour of macha) £3.50
- Mango sorbet (juicy sun-ripened mango pieces make this mango sorbet a South Seas dream you don't have to travel. The world over to enjoy) £3.50
- Banana tempura (a decadent and delicious banana tempura served with vanilla or chocolate ice cream) £5.50
- Chocolate pyramid (a soft caramel centre surrounded by mouth-watering chocolate mousse) £4.50
Other desserts are available.
100 Avenue Road, Swiss Cottage, NW3 3HF
£25 - £34
Mon - Sun 12pm - 3pm, Mon - Sat 5.30pm - 10.30pm & Sun 5pm - 10pm