Atul Kochhar is at the vanguard of the new Indian cuisine. Forget sludgy sauces poured over unrecognizable meat - at this Mayfair Indian restaurant you’ll find interesting fresh flavours and subtle spices. British and European ingredients are cleverly mixed with classic Indian items and given an exciting new twist. The décor at Benares is equally striking from its long granite bar to the elegantly lit dining room and pond with floating lilies. A sense of Zen-like calm pervades the restaurant, providing a perfect contrast to the striking flavours and ingredients of the food.
This restaurant only takes bookings of up to 8 people.
Sample a la carte
- Artichoke and paneer salad (grilled artichoke, Indian cottage cheese and kalamata olive salad with lemon dressing) £9.50
- Karara kekda (crisp soft shell crab with squid salad) £13.95
- Achari batakh (terrine of confit duck with pickling spices and crisp saffron-fennel bread) £12.95
- Tandoori ratan (kebab platter with combination of lamb chop, chicken tikka and king prawn) £16.95
Other starters are available.
- Meen moily (pan-seared wild bass with coconut and ginger sauce) £24.95
- Tandoori murg (tandoor roasted spring chicken marinated in yoghurt, ginger, garlic and red chilli) £17.50
- Rogani nalli (braised shank of lamb with pistachio and rose petal) £19.95
- Vathu chettinad (South Indian style mallard duck breast slow cooked in a water bath with lavender korma) £24.95
- Hiran ki boti (roasted spice crusted roe deer fillet with pear-chilli chutney and pickled pumpkin risotto) £22.50
- Lagan ki biriyani (slow cooked basmati rice with wild mushrooms and truffles) £24.00
Other main courses are available.
- A selection of desserts are available.
12A Berkeley Square House, Berkeley Square, W1J 6BS
£35 - £44
Mon - Sat 12pm - 2:30pm & 5:30 - 11pm
Sun 12pm - 3pm and 6pm - 10:30pm