With its Haymarket address, Galileo's can rightly claim to be a central London restaurant. And rather a fine one at that. Part of an inexpensive, family chain of Italian restaurants in key tourist areas, this Galileo's is a buzzy, trattoria-style venue that's almost always full. And not necessarily of tourists. The menu leans towards the delights of Tuscany, famous for its olive groves and idyllic countryside. If the veal escalope with spinach, beef tomatoes, cheese gratin and potatoes, followed by a rich chocolate pudding doesn't quite tempt, several other dishes will. An after-dinner liqueur is a must. Thumbs up to the very pleasant and polite waiting staff. In fact, thumbs up all round.
Sample a la carte
- Bruschetta pomodoro e basilico(freshly chopped tomatoes and basil on toasted bread) £4.50
- Frittelle di pesce, asparagi e insalatina (fish cakes served with asparagus and salad) £5.75
- Carpaccio di manzo, rucola e parmigiano (beef carpaccio with rocket and parmesan) £6.75
- Uova alla fiorentina (pan fried eggs on a bed of spinach au gratin) £4.95
Other starters are available.
- Diavola pizza (fresh tomato sauce, spicy salami, mixed peppers, chilli oil and mozzarella) £8.50
- Ravioli di bietole con fonduta e pure' di peperoni rossi (Swiss chard ravioli with cheese fondue and red pepper coulis) £8.50
- Pappardelle al ragu' d'anatra con olive nere appassite (pappardelle with duck meat ragu' and black olives) £8.75
- Scaloppa impanata e vegetali di stagione (breaded veal escalope gently pan fried served with vegetables and potatoes) £12.75
- Scaloppe di pesce spada con rucola e pomodorini di pachino (swordfish escalopes with rocket and cherry tomatoes) £13.95
- Tagliata di manzo con rucola e scaglie di pecorino stagionato (sliced rib-eye steak with extra virgin olive oil, rocket and mature Pecorino shavings) £13.75
Other main courses are available.
- Crostata alle fragole (strawberry tart) £4.95
- Pannacotta £4.75
- Tartufo (chocolate ice cream with liqueur covered with dark chocolate) £4.75
- Cassata Siciliana (a slice of mixed Italian ice cream with candied fruit) £5.25
Other desserts are available.
71 Haymarket, SW1Y 4RW
A suggested optional gratuity of 10% will be added to your bill
Mon - Thurs 12pm - 11pm, Fri - Sat 12pm - 11.30pm, Sun 12pm - 10.30pm