(SE1) A large parish in Surrey adjoining the borough of Southwark; and named Beormund's Eye, or island, from its having been the property of some Saxon or Danish thane, and the land being "insulated" by water courses connected with the Thames. In 1082 a wealthy citizen built here a convent, wherein some Cluniac monks settled in 1089, to whom William Rufus gave the manor of Bermondsey. (Reference: Timbs's Curiosities of London, p. 49)