(W1) St. James's Fair, held in the month of May in Brook Field, acquired the name of "May Fair." It gave the now fashionable quarter in which it was held the name of Mayfair. May Fair was granted by King James II, in the fourth year of his reign, to Sir John Coell and his heirs for ever, in trust for Henry, Lord Dover and his heirs for ever. It was held in Brook-field, commenced on the first of May and lasted fifteen days, but was finally put down in 1708. (Reference: Smith's Streets of London)