St. Jamess Street

161, Piccadilly (SW1) This street is known all over Europe for its clubs. In 1670 it was called "The Long Street." It was here that the infamous Colonel Blood, whose name is so well known for his daring attempt to rob the Tower of the Regalia of England, set upon the Duke of Ormond, aided by four ruffians, and attempted to assassinate him on his way to Clarendon House. Lord Byron lodged at No. 8 when "Childe Harold" was first published. (Reference: Smith's Streets of London, p. 28) Gibbon died at No. 76, St. James's Street. No. 25 was formerly the residence of Lord Guildford and of Sir Francis Burdett.