Trafalgar Square

Charing Cross (WC2) Built 1839-52, is named from the last victory of Nelson, to whom a column is erected on the south side ; the four colossal bronze lions at the base of the pedestal, modelled by Sir E. Landseer, R.A., were added in 1867. The whole square is paved with granite. (Reference: Timbs's Curiosities of London, p. 753) Here, in the time of Richard II, stood the King's Mews, where Chaucer, the poet, would come to look after his Majesty's falcons.