Charles James Fox

Previous page: Lady Mary Wortley Montagu

Another great Georgian figure at one time occupied No. 25 (subsequently Thomas's Hotel and rebuilt in the 1900s, the original house dating from 1809), namely Charles James Fox.

He lived here from 18023, at which time Mrs. Robinson the Perdita of the Prince of Wales's Florizel was, according to some accounts, residing under the statesman's protection in the same house.

Fox certainly evinced great interest in the abandoned favourite of the Prince of Wales - and when that celebrity, on coming of age, refused to pay the 20,000 for which he had given "Perdita" a bond during his infatuation, the friend of the people procured an annuity of 300 for her from the pockets of the people.

Next page: Lord Canterbury