The large opening in the south wall is the original entrance to the White Tower, now filled with glass. Near to it are shown kettle drums taken at Blenheim, cavalry boots of the 17th century, and the horse-furniture of William III.
Of the five richly decorated cannons, two were made for the Duke of Gloucester, son of Queen Anne, and two were taken from Paris in 1815, having belonged to Colbert, Minister of Finance to Louis XIV.
The other gun, elaborately ornamented with laurel branches and medallions, mounted On a carriage carved to represent two Furies, was captured by the French at Malta in 1798. The ship which carried it to France was taken by the British Frigate HMS Seahorse and with it was taken the banner of Baron Ferdinand Hompesch, last Grand Master of the Knights of Malta, which hangs near to it.
Down the sides of the room are cases showing the development of firearms from the matchlock to the flintlock, pistols of both types and a series of interesting experimental weapons of the 9th century. Two table cases contain powder flasks, bandoliers and other furnishings for the musketeer. In the centre is a model of part of the Battle of Waterloo, made in 1840.
After this room the visitor ascends a staircase to the south-east and reaches the second floor of the tower, passing through the west doorway of THE CHAPEL OF ST. JOHN