|You are here: London Online > Tower of London Virtual Tour > Crown Jewels|
Previous page: Wakefield Tower
Since 1994, the Crown Jewels have resided in the new purpose built Jewel House. The most notable are:-
The Imperial State Crown with four arches, originally made for Queen Victoria's coronation in 1838. The chief jewels were taken from older crowns and the Royal collection.
Amongst them, the fine ruby given to the Black Prince by Peter the Cruel after the battle of Navarette, 3rd April, 1367. This was worn by Henry V in the coronet encircling his helmet at the battle of Agincourt in 1415. For the coronation of Mary II with William III, this ruby was set in the Queen's Crown of State.
The crown was enlarged and lightened in weight for the coronation of H.M. Edward VII, and then contained 2,818 diamonds, 297 pearls, and many other jewels, the whole weighing 39 ounces and 5 pennyweights.
It has since been again somewhat improved and altered to allow of the large oblong brilliant "Star of Africa," weighing 3O9 3/16 carats, cut from the "Cullinan" rough diamond, being inserted in front when not worn by H.M. the Queen. For the new arrangement 2 sapphires, 56 brilliants, and 52 rose diamonds have been added.
The imperial State Crown with eight arches worn by King George V at the Delhi Durbar contains an Indian emerald weighing 34 carats, emeralds, sapphires and 6,170 diamonds.
The Circlet or Coronet of pearls and diamonds made for the coronation of Mary of Modena, the Queen consort and second wife of James II. The Crown made for Mary of Modena and altered afterwards for the coronation of Mary II with William III.
St. Edward's Crown, which appears to be the model by which all the later crowns have been fashioned. It was made for the coronation of Charles II.
The Prince of Wales's gold Crown, with a single arch.
The larger Orb, of gold, with a cross and band of jewels, made for Charles II.
The smaller Orb, of gold, set with jewels and pearls, made for the coronation of Mary II with William III.
St. Edward's Staff, a sceptre of gold, 4 feet 7 inches in length, surmounted by an orb which is supposed to contain or to have contained a fragment of the true cross.
The Royal Sceptre with the cross, of gold and jewels, now containing the large drop-shape brilliant of" The Stars of Africa," weighing 516 1/2 carats, the largest cut diamond in the world. This stone was also cut from the " Cullinan" diamond.
The Queen's Sceptre with the cross, of gold and jewels, made for the coronation of Mary of Modena with James II.
The Sceptre with the dove, of gold and jewels, which is borne in the left hand of the Sovereign at the coronation.
The Sceptre with the dove, of gold and jewels, for the Queen, made for the coronation of Mary II.
A pair of gold "St. George's" Spurs, the emblem of knighthood and chivalry.
A pair of gold and enamelled Bracelets, worn as emblems of sovereignty, made for Charles II, but re-enamelled for subsequent coronations.
The Queen's ivory Rod, mounted in gold and enamelled, doubtless made for the coronation of Mary of Modena.
Beside the magnificent regalia dating chiefly from the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, when the ancient regalia, destroyed during the Commonwealth, were replaced as nearly as possible, observe, also:-
The ancient Anointing Spoon, dating from the end of the 12th century and perhaps made for the coronation of King John (1199-1216). The bowl of the spoon was restored for the coronation of Charles II.
Two copies of this historical relic, made for the coronation of George IV, are preserved at Windsor Castle. This spoon and the golden Ampulla or Eagle are the only two objects of the ancient regalia which escaped destruction during the Commonwealth.
The Ampulla, or Eagle of gold, just mentioned, which is used for the oil for anointment of the Sovereign, dates in all probability from the time of Henry IV, but was restored and a new pedestal added for the coronation of Charles II.
In addition to these splendid regal emblems, several rare specimens of royal plate are exhibited, beginning with "Queen Elizabeth's" Salt, made in 1572-73, which is the finest example of this variety of Salt in existence to-day.
A large Salt of State of silver gilt in the form of a tower, made in the middle of the 17th century and presented to Charles II in commemoration of his restoration by the City of Exeter, at considerable cost. Several of the precious stones set in this Salt were supplied for the coronation of George IV.
Eleven "St. George's" Salts of four different shapes, made for the coronation banquet of Charles II and used at every subsequent coronation banquet up to the time of George IV, when this great function was held for the last time.
A large silver-gilt Wine-Fountain of elaborate and costly English workmanship, presented to Charles II by the borough of Plymouth.
Two large silver-gilt German Tankards, wrought at Hamburg in the second half of the 17th century.
The Baptismal Font and Basin of silver-gilt, made for Charles II in 1660-61, and used at the christening of the Sovereign's children. One of the last occasions when it was used was at the christening of King Edward VII at St. George's Chapel, Windsor.
A large silver-gilt Sacramental Flagon and Altar Dish, made in 1691-92 for William and Mary. Now used at the Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula three times a year, on Christmas Day, Easter Sunday and Whit Sunday.
A large plain silver-gilt Alms-Dish made in 1660-61, though bearing the arms and cipher of William and Mary; it is now used at the ancient ceremony of the distribution of the Maundy money at Westminster Abbey on Holy Thursday.
The State Sword offered at the coronation of His Majesty Edward VII, with richly jewelled hilt and scabbard.
A model of the Koh-i-noor in its original setting.
Four Maces of silver-gilt, for the sergeants-at-arms, borne before the Sovereign on State occasions. Two are of the time of Charles II, one of James II, and one of William and Mary.
Side Cases- One Mace of William and Mary and one of Queen Anne.
Fifteen State Trumpets of silver, dating for the most part from the 19th century.
The Sword of State used at Coronations and at State Openings of Parliament.
The two Swords of Justice, Temporal and Spiritual.
Curtana, the Sword of Mercy, with the point of the blade broken off as a token of mercy.
Four Maces, also the insignia of the British and Indian Orders of Knighthood, their collars, stars, and badges, and the Victoria Cross.
Next page: Salt Tower
The Tower of London Virtual Guide
|London Online | About Us | London attractions | London Venues | London Events | London Hotels | London Theatre|