The work now to be seen points to it having been built by Henry III. The Great Hall, memorable as the scene of Anne Boleyn's Trial, adjoined it, but was pulled down during the Commonwealth.
In 1360 the records of the Kingdom, which had previously been kept in the White Tower, were removed here, and this is called in ancient surveys sometimes the Record, and sometimes the Hall Tower.
The present name is probably derived from William de Wakefield, King's Clerk, appointed to hold custody of the Exchanges in the Tower in 1344. It was also used as the Jewel House for the safe keeping and exhibition of THE CROWN JEWELS.